RHODE ISLAND DUI LAWYER
DUI Lawyer in Rhode Island
No matter what state you are in DUI is taken very seriously. The next time you think that you can only drive around the corner home from the bar after you have been drinking you night may just end with a call to a DUI Lawyer in Rhode Island. In Rhode Island if you are pulled over for reckless driving, swerving, tailgating, or other driving offense the police will likely check to see if you are driving under the influence.
After You Are Pulled Over
If the police believe that you are driving under the influence there is going to be actions confirm their suspicions:
- You will likely be asked to perform field sobriety tests: The field sobriety tests you will likely have to complete are the walk and turn test, the one-leg stand test, and the horizontal gaze nystagmus. It is important that you remember that these tests are not mandatory. If you refuse to take these tests, it may assist your DUI Lawyer in Rhode Island in defeating your charges. If you do decide to refuse to take these tests, you may be placed under arrest.
- You may be asked to complete a preliminary breath test sometimes call as (PBT). Again this test is not mandatory, and if you choose not to complete it, you may be subject to a fine. You will not lose your license for not submitting to a PBT.
What If You Are Placed Under Arrest?
Regardless of whether you complete the PBT or the Field Sobriety Tests the police may still arrest you for driving under the influence. If this is the case, you are going to want to contact a DUI Lawyer in Rhode Island. If you are placed under arrest, you are going to be notified of your constitutional rights, and then you will be ordered to submit to a chemical test. In the case of a chemical test while most will be with a breathalyzer the police may order you to take a blood or urine test instead. It is important to remember that you can refuse these tests you will be at risk of punishments including:
- Be required to attend a particular class or seminar specifically for people who have been arrested for driving while under the influence or a drug treatment course.
- 6-12 months loss of driver's license
- 10-60 hours of community service work
- $500 highway assessment fee
- Fines ranging from $200-$500
- $200 Department of Health fee
Regardless of whether you choose to submit to or refuse the chemical test, you are still going to be placed under arrest. When you are arrested for DUI in Rhode Island, it is important that you act quickly. As soon as you can make a phone call, you should dial 401-229-5088 and contact DUI Lawyer in Rhode Island Chad F. Bank better known as the RI DUI Guy! When you contact our office, we are going to welcome you with open arms and make sure that we do the greatest job possible in your case. We will go through your file and review any police reports involved to make sure that we make a correct defense when we get to court. If you would like to contact us, we are available at anytime at 401-229-5088.